Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dear Andy, I would love to disagree but...

I don't understand your Let's stop agreeing already post- what do those numbers represent? Dollars? Deaths? Your point isn't clear to me.

Also, I sort of had it in the back of my head to avoid this one topic with you, because you clearly are pro-life for very personal, religious reasons. For me, in my personal life and experience, I appreciate I that I have the choice to be...pro-life.

However, I respect that there is a separation of church and state, that not everyone holds my same views and that they should have the right to choose what happens to their own bodies. This was not founded as a christian nation, this is a place of religious and personal freedom and I don't believe in limiting rights according to any one faith's ideals.

If you can guarantee me that there will be no more rape and incest, maybe I would change my mind. Until then I remain... pro-choice. And don't get crazy and start calling me pro-abortion, nobody is happy about it.

Let the shitstorm begin...

5 comments:

hanzmoeman said...

Where in the constitution does it say that there is a separation of church and state?

smack709 said...

The First Amendment

hanzmoeman said...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." It does not say anything about the separation of church and state. Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter where he mentioned "a wall of separation between church and state" and some people have made that their rallying cry, and they have no idea where it came from. Or that it is no where in the Constitution.

smack709 said...

Actually, I think this says everything about the separation of church and state.

Also, please note that I did not state in my post that this was in the constitution, so if you're bringing this up to prove a point of some sort let's get on with it.

hanzmoeman said...

The establishment clause does not separate the church and the state. Freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion. It is true that you didn't state in your post that it is in the constitution. However, anytime the "separation of church and state" is brought up it is implied that it is a founding principle of our nation and it is not.